Παρασκευή 5 Φεβρουαρίου 2010

Sharing?

I would like to share an experience with you,one that came vividly to me as I awoke to a marvellous starry sky.
About ten years ago I went on a trip to Southern Italy and Sicily.A long and arduous trip I must confess,by car,coach,ferry,coach,ferry,coach,long hours of riding and sleeplessness,during a hot July in both countries,in the peak of the holiday season.
Upon our arrival in Bari if I recall properly,the coach took us towards the picturesque Taormina,on a hill overlooking the sea amd with an ancient amphitheatre on the south side of the hill.We happened to be there during a baroque music rehearsal,And all I heard from my life partner was complaints of tiredness.
Later that day,on or way to our first hotel stay in Italy,we drove by Mt Etna.She was erupting,An awesome flow of lava down its northern side,a river of red hot fire.And all I got as a response to my awe at the phenomenon was "Are we there yet??"
We stayed in a hotel called Biancaneva (Snowhite),very fitting name,medieval mansion turned hotel,very comfortable,high ceilings,cast iron beds,soft matresses.In the morning,at about 5,daybreak,something called me to the balcony.A rolling olive tree covered hill we were on top,undulating softly to the sparkling blue sea of Porto Empedocles further down and the smoking volcano behind us.And I knew that ,dared I wake her to share the magic,I would have got a "but we leave at nine!!!!! ".I did not dare.
Last episode I will narrate was the Valley of the Temples.Midnight,lit by a bright full moon,the temples of reddish stone stood magnificently in the middle of the valley and I trod the ancient path among them,totally bereft of anyone to praise the beauty with.Slumbering in a concrete hotel she was.
Call me romantic.I am proud to be.Beauty in all shapes and forms must be shared,intimately at best.If you cannot share it,it is not lost forever but t does feel mutilated.
I have for many years treasured the memories,both of the beauty and of the pain.I awoke to them today,only to find myself alone on a sofa,the starry sky outside the window.
Good morning frends.

1 σχόλιο:

  1. good day, George ! i'm in the neatest city i've ever visited, went to the port the other night, my fingers froze on the camera bacause of the cold ... then walked by the Nobel Peace Prize building, then an ice monument erected in memory of the Haiti victims. this city is like an ode to order, cleanliness, quiet ships and small islands. looking south east, the statue of a lama guards the eternal flame of peace, in a metallic lotus in one of the corners of the port...

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή